Loading...
02/09/2015 - Minutes MINUTES CITY&COUNTY BUILDING CONSERVANCY AND USE COMMITTEE MONDAY, February 9, 2015, 4:00 P.M. Committee Members Present: Committee Members Not Present: Terry Wright, Chairman —- Robert Young John Phillips Steve Cornell Jerod Johnson, Vice Chairman ; John McCarthy apinveuelb Mark Vlasic Ex Officio Members Present: 3/8/15 Jim Cleland, SLC Facilities Interested Parties: Sean Fyfe, SLC Engineering Shalae Larsen, 10 Architects Jaysen Oldroyd, SLC Attorney's Office Michaela Oktay Alexis Anderson, SLC Facilities Terry Wright welcomed everyone to the meeting and noted that there is not a quorum present so we cannot conduct any business or accept any minutes, but all those that may want to talk about or review something we can kind of talk in general terms and possibly give some ideas of what you might possibly be able to do without actually approving it. Agenda Item 1: Review and approval of the January 12, 2015. Terry suggested that this item be deferred until next month's meeting when we have a quorum present. Agenda Item 2: Committee Business—Election of Officers. Terry suggested that the committee business regarding new officer elections would also be deferred until next month's meeting. Joan was asked to add both of these items to next month's agenda. Agenda Item 3: Art Gallery Update. Alexis Anderson, of SLC Facilities, reported that the first art showings are going really well with both artists holding receptions. She explained that the next "call for art"will be sent out on Friday, February 13, 2015 with the due date for art submissions being April 20, 2015 and she will have a presentation ready for the Conservancy and Use Committee's May 11, 2015 to review for art showings for the rest of 2015. Alexis also reported that she had received an interesting request from a group called Equity Life and Casualty Company that goes to local senior centers requesting artists to submit work. The art is then reviewed by the University of Utah and the Arts Council and then they hold a show. The group holds a show every five years and has been doing it for the past 20 years at the Salt Lake City and County building. Alexis explained that she and Jim Cleland are proposing that rather than have the Art Committee try to review 80 pieces of art, we let the University of Utah Art Committee and the Arts Council choose what work will be displayed and we just process their application. Comments and Questions: • Would this showing fit within our 6 week window and meet our criteria? • This showing would fit our standards and criteria since ours was based upon the criteria from the Arts Council. • This group is usually represented by the mayor's office as well. Alexis noted that the idea to have this group review and choose the art to be displayed was to simplify the process and because this group does consist of professionals that understand our criteria and would 1 follow our guidelines that she sent to them. Alexis asked if the committee would approve of this application or if it should be denied. John Phillips said he liked the idea and asked if we could make a pseudo motion? Jim Cleland suggested that we would bring the proposal to the next meeting and Terry could review it with the committee and have a vote if there is a quorum. Alexis will wait to charge the deposit. Alexis explained that when the first artist was setting up for her showing she was not prepared with someone to help her hang her work and because of this we ended up having one of our SLC Facilities employees help her. This brought to our attention that we should be charging an hourly rate if one of our employees is required to help hang and removing artwork. Alexis explained that she has noted in the new requirements that any artist that does not bring an assistant to help set up will be billed an hourly rate of$25.35 for labor and this will be taken out of the security deposit amount of$77.78 that is already being charged to each artist for the building. Discussion, Questions and Answers: • How did we come up with the$25.35 hourly rate? • Jim Cleland explained that this is the hourly rate for event cost recovery for this building that is approved by the city council. • Do any of these hourly rates apply to administrative costs? • Jim explained that administrative costs are covered in the event scheduling process already being done by Alexis. • Alexis reported that the City's new fee schedule has been released and the security deposit has increased from $77.78 to$81.00 and so she will also make this change to the requirements. • Why do we ask them to leave a deposit? • The security deposit is required in case damage to walls. • The deposit would cover approximately 3 hour of labor if needed. If they go over the 3 hours or use up the security deposit we can bill them for the damage and the extra time. • The extra hourly billing should be explained in the changes to the requirements as well. • Artists are required to use the art hanging system and the clips that are provided, so if they damage the walls with screws or nails or something they are on their own for the cost of the repairs. • Should the deposit be a larger amount? • This is the standard security deposit that is charged for events without food. If they hold a reception with food, the deposit is more. This covers additional janitorial services that may be required. • If the artist or group is a non-profit organization then the deposit is totally refundable and they do not pay anything for the space. • The new acceptance letters sent out to artists specifically explain that artists need to bring someone to help them with their set up or the hourly rate will be charged. • Most of the artists that are going to display here are struggling artists and the idea is to encourage them to bring help so they can save a little money by doing it themselves. 2 • If the artist let us know upfront that they are going to need help setting up, then we should automatically charge the$75 fee at the "get go" along plus the$81.00 deposit. Trying to get paid back after the fact is really hard. • We could require a flat fee plus the$25.35 per hour upfront if they indicated they would need help. • Do the artists require help removing the art? • We schedule them to come into the building on the weekend to remove their displays and then our customer service person comes in and does a janitorial inspection plus checks the walls and hallway for any damages. Alexis told the committee she would make the additional additions to the requirements as discussed and send it to the Committee for approval. Agenda Item#4: Review of the Proposed Drawings for Café outdoor dining. Shalae Larsen of 10 Landscape Architecture introduced herself and explained that they have been working on the drawings for a couple of months now and have come up with a couple of changes since their visit last November. Shalae explained that as they were developing the construction documents and fine tuning the details they realized that they needed to make a few changes: • We need to switch the direction the canopy system was running, because the span was just too long and we were going to get too much sag. A site plan was provided to illustrate this as well as an elevation showing that they spaced the posts to line up with the space between the windows so they are not blocking any windows. • We set back the gate and are sort of notching out around the air intake vent so that the gates actually have room to open and don't open into the parking lot. • Also, from a cost prospective, we have eliminated any sort stone paving and are going to go with a light exposed aggregate concrete which will have some sort of trowel or saw-cut pattern. This will be done to match other light exposed aggregate concrete that exists in other places on the grounds. • Ornamental iron change. We were originally budgeting to do the whole fence as cast iron and cast iron is fairly expense. Cast iron is also more brittle than doing a wrought iron fence, so we have changed the fence to a wrought iron fence with casting ornamentation on it, which is also historically appropriate for this period. This will save us about half of the cost and be more durable for the application. There will also be a hedge in front of it so you won't see the lower part of the fence. Shalae presented some drawings that represent the actual fence design they are thinking of at this time. • Jim Cleland pointed out that the last page is the elevation of the canopies and the fencing. Discussion Comments, Questions and Answers: • How are you thinking of exposing the aggregate? Will it be washing it or blasting it? • We haven't really sorted out the details of that yet. We think it's going to come down to what effects we can get. We don't want it to heavy of an exposed aggregate and we might want to look at having a contractor do a custom aggregate mix so that we get a historic concrete look. 3 • Is the canopy itself something that comes completely down in the fall, store it somewhere and then put back in the spring? • Ideally you want to take the whole canopy down because it is not rated for snow loads, plus the weathering in the winter. You could leave the wires up if you wanted, but it definitely needs to be stored. • Jim Cleland mentioned that there is a place it could be stored and some boxes could be built to store it in. Shalae also had some actual fabric swatches for the Committee to look at. She noted the color that they would like to use is called "Sandstorm" and is kind of a pale yellow color. • On the first page where the Clematis is growing up the trellis, it doesn't really show how the clematis can exist within the hedge. • The clematis is actually planted behind the hedge. I forgot to print off the planting plan for you. • On sheet S101, you don't show the shading or scoring on all the areas that should be cement. • These areas are all concrete and should be shaded. • Is the trellis going to be sitting on the mote covers? • Jim and I talked about this last week and we think it would be more efficient to have those trellis posts actually bolted to the mote cover as opposed to just trying to put them just outside the mote cover inside the ground, but we can do either way. We think we will run into less potential utility issues, but the problem is that since it is a remodel application we don't know what is in the ground in terms of doing 30 inch footings. • We could do some ground source infra-red. • I wonder if anything will be changed with the mote as part of the upcoming seismic and stone renovation. Jim Cleland explained that this project will not start until after all the stone and seismic renovation is complete. • We are just going to be doing a bolted connection as opposed to a welded connection so it will be easy to unbolt those connections. • The wind could be an issue if a tornado came through here there is nothing to keep that mote lid from uplifting. • The mote lid is just a slip fit so we might have to put a footing in on the outside of the cement. Shalae asked if there is any existing detail that shows how the mote cover is connected. Jim replied that it should be in the electronic plans that she should have. Shalae will look through the plans and see what is there. She said it won't be very hard to push things forward if it is necessary. If you could come to the front of the mote wall and connect to the base of the wall there is a footing is there. Jared indicated that the seismic and stone renovation may require some changes to the mote to be sure there is adequate clearance all the way around, but the new drawings could easily be changed to add additional reinforcement for the mote cover to make the connection work. • The reason for the yellow canopy? • We just wanted something neutral. • The sandstone one is good because it doesn't exactly match the building and makes it stand out a little from the color of the building. • The color of the building changes with the light. 4 • I think there is another color that is more in the genre of the stone as an accent. The 3rd color down on the left side is a good color. • When you come back with bigger samples bring these two or three colors. • What is the longevity of this fabric? • The durability says 1200 hours so you might get one season out of it. • If you pick a color and it is only 1200 hours you would have a chance to make a change if you didn't like it. • The change in the direction of the canopy will actually be better that it was previously designed and will be seen better from the street and be a little more interesting. Terry asked if there were any further questions or comments. Terry said that the committee members here have given the best direction they can without being official. Shalae said she felt good about switching the direction and the other information that she was given and will move forward. Agenda Item#5: Open Meetings Training. Terry reminded the committee the reason we were holding the training again because he (Terry Wright) John Phillips and John McCarthy had missed the training presented back in November 2014. Jaysen Oldroyd presented "Open Meeting Law" (refer to the handout provided entitled: "Open Meeting Law"—Training for Community Development Capital Improvements Project("CDCIP")Advisory Board). Specific Discussion was held and Questions asked about Electronic Meetings: • Electronic meetings can be held if it will help to get a quorum present. • In order to hold an electronic meeting a majority of the committee must physically present at the physical location from which the electronic meeting originates and from which the committee members are connected to the electronic meeting. • We would give notice in the regular way, we would also post notices at the anchor location. This notice would also include information of how committee members could make contact to the meeting to be counted as present at the meeting including determining that a quorum is present. Q: Should we consider doing electronic meetings as a regular procedure? A: We could post the call in number in the minutes and in the agenda for committee members to call if they are going to be unable to make it to the meeting. A: We do not want to encourage committee members not to come to the meetings, but being able to call in so that we do have a quorum would be great. A: We would need at least 3 or 4 committee members here and then 2 could call in and this would be considered appropriate for a quorum. Joan was asked to get the call in number and other contact information to be provided to committee members and for posting with the agenda for potential electronic meetings. 5 Terry noted that he had forgotten to call roll tonight and suggested a roll call be done at this time. Roll call as follows: Terry Wright, Chairman;Jerod Johnson, Vice Chair;John Phillips, Member at Large,Jim Cleland, SLC Facilities; Sean Fyfe, SLC Engineering;Jaysen Oldroyd, SLC Attorney's Office;Joan Swain, SLC Facilities. Terry asked Jaysen if there were enough of the committee members that had participated in the "Open Meetings Training"to call it good. Jaysen said the he would make an executive call to say that enough of the committee members had participated in the two meetings now that he feels comfortable. Terry asked if there were any other agenda items that needed to be added for next month. Terry asked for an update on the procurement process on the stone and engineering City and County RFP. Sean Fyfe said that the next meeting date of March 9th may be a bit premature and they a may not have a selection made, but he would have an update. Terry made an unofficial motion to adjourn. Jerod Johnson seconded the unofficial motion. The meeting was adjourned. 6 Swain, Joan From: Shalae Larsen [shalae@iodesigncollaborative.com] on behalf of Shalae Larsen [shalae@iolandarch.com] Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2015 11:31 AM To: Cleland, Jim; Carruthers, Karen; Swain, Joan; Shaffer, Lisa; Bird, Riley; maxwellj@whw- engineering.com; Pickering, Maryann; michaela.ontag@slcgov.com; washingtonsquarecafe@gmail.com Subject: Washington Square Cafe Update Attachments: 150203.Washington Square Cafe.pdf; ATT00001.htm; fence images.pdf; ATT00002.htm All, I wanted to take a moment to update everyone on the progress of the Washington Square Cafe project, since most of you weren't able to attend our meeting on Tuesday. At this point we are in-process developing construction drawings based on the original design and cost estimates. There are just a couple of changes that I wanted to review with everyone. We are scheduled to present the updated design to the CUC on Monday! 1. Change the direction of the canopy system: Originally we designed the canopy system to run parallel to the building (north-south). We've decided that the span is too long, and that we would either have to put in intermediate posts or much thicker cable and larger posts, or deal with a lot of sag in the lines. We don't think that any of those options will look very good, so we are changing the direction the canopies will run to be perpendicular to the building (east-west) 2. Fence design: We are proposing a hybrid wrought and cast iron fence as opposed to an all cast iron fence as originally designed. Both are historically appropriate. While the hybrid fence will be slightly less decorative, much of the fence is going to be covered up by a boxwood hedge anyway. And, since the cost of the hybrid fence is less than half that of an all cast fence I think this is the right decision. (See attached fence sheet for more detail - the images on the left are the actual fence design that we are proposing). Please take a moment to look over the drawings and images, and let me know if you have any comments! Thanks! Shalae A. Larsen, ASLA, PLA, Principal Landscape Architect IOlandseapeARCHITECTURE 795 24th Street, Ogden UT 84401 1307 West 200 South, Suite 4004, Salt Lake City UT 84101 I cell/text 801.390.9925 I office 801.917.4632 I www.iolandarch.com i Swain, Joan From: Shalae Larsen [shalae@iodesigncollaborative.com] on behalf of Shalae Larsen [shalae@iolandarch.com] Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2015 11:31 AM To: Cleland, Jim; Carruthers, Karen; Swain, Joan; Shaffer, Lisa; Bird, Riley; maxwellj@whw- engineering.com; Pickering, Maryann; michaela.ontag@slcgov.com; washingtonsquarecafe@gmail.com Subject: Washington Square Cafe Update Attachments: 150203.Washington Square Cafe.pdf; ATT00001.htm; fence images.pdf; ATT00002.htm All, I wanted to take a moment to update everyone on the progress of the Washington Square Cafe project, since most of you weren't able to attend our meeting on Tuesday. At this point we are in-process developing construction drawings based on the original design and cost estimates. There are just a couple of changes that I wanted to review with everyone. We are scheduled to present the updated design to the CUC on Monday! 1. Change the direction of the canopy system: Originally we designed the canopy system to run parallel to the building (north-south). We've decided that the span is too long, and that we would either have to put in intermediate posts or much thicker cable and larger posts, or deal with a lot of sag in the lines. We don't think that any of those options will look very good, so we are changing the direction the canopies will run to be perpendicular to the building (east-west) 2. Fence design: We are proposing a hybrid wrought and cast iron fence as opposed to an all cast iron fence as originally designed. Both are historically appropriate. While the hybrid fence will be slightly less decorative, much of the fence is going to be covered up by a boxwood hedge anyway. And, since the cost of the hybrid fence is less than half that of an all cast fence I think this is the right decision. (See attached fence sheet for more detail - the images on the left are the actual fence design that we are proposing). Please take a moment to look over the drawings and images, and let me know if you have any comments! Thanks! Shalae A. Larsen, ASLA, PLA, Principal Landscape Architect IOlandseapeARCHITECTURE 795 24th Street, Ogden UT 84401 1307 West 200 South, Suite 4004, Salt Lake City UT 84101 I cell/text 801.390.9925 I office 801.917.4632 I www.iolandarch.com i